Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Last Lunch at an Old Favorite

Horrible drive into work yesterday - just 10 cm of snow really screwed up the roads. They were very slippery and in fact the Subaru spun out turning a corner. I can only think of one other time that its done that. I will be SO GLAD not to have to do that anymore.

Bogus (not genuine : counterfeit, sham) was yesterday's word of the day. I can't think of any usage of this word that fits my own world. Especially as I am trying to be positive and find the best in everything. Sometimes though my positive outlook is bogus but it's best to keep the sham up as eventually I'll even convince myself to change my outlook.

Today's word of the day is quincunx (KWIN-kunks; an arrangement of five things in a square or rectangle with one at each corner and one in the middle). I cannot for the life of me think of how to use this word in relation to my own life. Okay - this is really lame - at lunch today we formed a quincunx with the food in the middle. Well, we would have but Bernard missed his bus so there were just the three of us - me and two co-workers/friends. It was our last lunch at this restaurant as it is closing next week. It will be greatly missed.

Here's my fortune from the Chinese restaurant "You have firmness, a clear sense of direction, and the drive to reach your goals.". I would say that parts of that are definitely true. I had the drive and direction to live my dream with the horses. We had a good aviary of breeding parrots. We have a nice property in the country. All of these things required a sense of direction and certainly drive to get us there. After living my life with a strong idea of where I wanted to be, it is strange that I now have no sense of direction at all. I feel a bit rudderless.

My idle pleasure today was while the three of us were having lunch. The food was good, the company of friends was good - all in all a pleasure.


No comments: