Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Plangent

I was stuck in the office for lunch again (rain) – I guess my idle pleasure is the same as yesterday – closing my eyes and imagining myself somewhere else (does it count for double if I do it in a meeting?)

Today’s word of the day is plangent (having a loud reverberating sound; having an expressive and especially plaintive quality). Plangent is not a word I have ever used in conversation or in writing – until today – strangely the first meaning fits perfectly with what I was already going to talk about!


Last night we watched Trans Siberian Orchestra’s Christmas program, a nice story with a great soundtrack. Their signature song (Carol of the Bells or Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12_24) is from this program; it starts softly with string instruments and builds up to a dramatic, plangent ending.  “Holy Night”, sung by Michael Crawford was so beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes.


">
O Holy Night Trans Siberian Orchestra - More amazing video clips are a click away

One of my co-workers is going to their concert this December – I wish I was already retired so that I could also go. She went last year and enjoyed it so much she's taking all her grown-up kids this year. When we are retired it will be easier to go to these events - no more getting up at 5am the next morning to go to work.

No comments: