Sunday, December 19, 2010

Snow Stars

It was a still, sunny morning with a lovely pinky glow on the snow, cold enough that yesterday's snow was light and fluffy, inviting you to drop to the earth and make a snow angel. As the sun got higher overhead the universe of tiny snow stars under my feet sparkled in the light. The field was criss-crossed with trails from the playful dogs running and jumping in the snow. When we came inside the snow from our boots and dogs legs melted and formed cold pools on the floor, the magic of the morning just a memory.  This was most certainly an idle pleasure of the most excellent kind.

Last night I made Prime Rib roast with Yorkshire pudding. It was fabulous - the beef was perfectly done and the Yorkshire was perhaps the best I've ever made it. The Yorkshire recipe that I use is from Joy of Cooking which is a great basic book to have on hand. I have an older version that still has recipes for bear meat, and how to skin a squirrel (and other appetite inspiring recipes - not). A very handy book to have in case all grocery stores in the world cease to exist...

Today's word of the day is welter (WEL-ter: writhe, toss; also : wallow ; to become deeply sunk, soaked, or involved; to be in turmoil). Last night after a large meal, followed by a liter of water, I weltered in bed trying to ease my full tummy. I'm supposed to drink at least 4 liters of water a day but this seems impossible. I drink a coffee or two (not sure if they count), a few herbal teas, a few glasses of water, and then my liter after supper. Its not enough so I'll have to try harder.

No comments: