Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hungry Heart

    Have the courage to say no.
    Have the courage to face the truth.
    Do the right thing because it is right.
    These are the magic keys
    to living your life with integrity.
smile!
 
Today's word of the day is guttural (GUTT-uh-rul djective - 1: articulated in the throat ; 2: formed with the back of the tongue touching or near the soft palate ; 3: being or marked by utterance that is strange, unpleasant, or disagreeable). What immediately popped into my mind is the first time that we heard a Fisher - an animal of the Mustelid family (weasel). It was a long screaming gutteral sound that sent chills up and down my spine. I've never heard anything like it. It sounded like someone was being killed in a brutal manner. Or the cry of a vampire - or anything else otherworldly. The fisher was originally native to this area but had almost died out. Now, it is regaining a foothold. We don't hear them very often, but when we do hear their guttural calls we stop and take notice.

I finished "Half-Broke Horses" by Jeannette Wells. It was an interesting book about a woman's life at the beginning of the century. She spent most of her life on ranches, eking out an existence. Her life was certainly hard, especially by today's standards. She has another book, this time about her life (I think) called Glass Houses. I'll read that one soon.

Today I went to the library and got a library card. Now I have access to tons of e-books through an Ontario Library e-book share program. This should save lots of money, especially if I'm going to be reading at the rate I have been since retirement!


Our Supper

On the way back from from getting the library card we stopped at our local abattoir to order some pigs feet and pick up a beef heart for the dogs. The heart is beautiful rich dark meat and the dogs just love it. Its a bit gross as it looks like a heart, but I just steel myself and cut away. Tonight the dogs got raw turkey, bones and all (Spike got the neck), and a big chunk of heart. They were happy :-) As for us, we had turkey in a stir fry with lots of veggies - a much healthier and less carnivore meal!

Dogs supper

          W. Clement Stone, 1902-2002                     American Businessman, Author and Philanthropist

1 comment:

Barb said...

I love the dog's smile. :)

Those books sound like good reading. I download library books onto my MP3 and listen to them while walking and driving. I'm going to see if I can snag those two books. Thanks!