Thursday, April 28, 2011

Escaping a Trip to Oz

I've been really falling down on getting my posts written this last week or two. I just have no motivation for anything these days... I have to work harder to get this turned around but I just don't have the motivation to do so... it's sort of a catch 22...

That said, the grass is really green now. I imagine that it will need mowing in a week or two, especially if we (ever) get some warm weather. Some of the trees are starting to bud, including the maples with their strange red flowers. I think "green day" is a few weeks away yet.

one of the branches that we cut down and brought inside
a bunch of sticks - a redneck flower arrangment

This afternoon I headed outside to do some puttering around the yard but right away wondered if Spike had been morphed into a Cairn Terrier and was going to be blown with me to the land of Oz. The wind was unbelievable - it broke a few trees and knocked down the light standard in the sand ring - we are talking serious wind.


Yesterday we went into town to meet with our accountant (taxes are done, hurrah), and stopped at a carpet discount to get a carpet for the sofa area. It's a piece of broadloom that has been bound on all sides. The colour is, well, ugly. It is a dirty beige colour. We looked at patterned carpets but just haven't seen anything that would suit the room. I had thought of this one but it is made of cotton so I wasn't sure how it would wear - I think it would have looked great though!

pretty average ...

this is the one from Home Depot


Today's word of the day is catastrophe (kuh-TASS-truh-fee noun 1a : a violent and sudden change in a feature of the earth b : a violent usually destructive natural event (as a supernova) ; 2: utter failure : fiasco). Our gardens were a catastrophe until all the work we have put into them lately. As the weather warms we will get some new perennials planted as well as some annuals. The place will start looking like less of a shambles. Maybe we won't even feel like going camping (yea right!).

My pleasures today: looking outside and seeing the grass even greener than yesterday (after all the rain last night) ; downloading "Black Beauty" for free.

No comments: