Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An Elephant Never Forgets

I came home with a new elephant for my collection last night. We had been at Carm’s parent’s house helping to de-clutter and stage it for the weekends open house. It was a sad time for all everyone but especially for Carm’s mom. She watched us take down all the family pictures, and pack away personal belongings, and all the little treasures and knickknacks that she has collected over the years. Some things were packed away, while other things found new homes with the family. I lucked out with this lovely elephant that I have long admired. It now has a new home where it will remind us everyday of the loving home where Carm grew up.

I’ve been collecting elephants from my early teens. It started with a small black one that was inherited from my grandmother (I think… note to self: ask Mom if she remembers) and another (a grey ceramic) from my great-grandparents on my Mom’s side. From those two a collection blossomed with elephants of all sizes and materials added as the  years passed. About 23 years ago I made a big find – a large white wicker two-headed beast that now holds some of my collection. Currently though, most of them live jammed together on the bottom shelf of a curio cabinet.