Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Smells Like Honey

I was trapped at my desk all morning, getting our Quicken records up-to-date so that we could get a feel for how we are doing with our budget. My legs were cramping and frankly I didn’t want to be there. I finally had enough and called the dogs out for a quick walk around the hay field. It was beautiful out there! Definitely a feel of fall in the air - even though it is warm there is an underlying coolness. The shadows are much longer now too, even at 11 am when the sun would have been blazing overhead not that many days ago.

20110823_dogs-field_006

The air had the fragrance of honey – not the sweet smell of clover but a more gentle smell of lovely honey, the smell of things ripened and ready for harvest. Speaking of harvest we have a ton of apples almost ready to be picked. Time for apple crisp, apple pies, apple cakes and maybe even some dried apple slices.

20110823_apples_001

The dogs ran and ran – they seemed to enjoy the beautiful morning as much as I did (although frankly I didn’t run and run or even just run). The dew was still heavy on the ground so maybe the coolness gave them extra zoom.

20110823_dogs-field_004

Fall days are among my favourite (I think I say that about every season!).

 

Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.
Robert Green Ingersoll

2 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

That sure beats sitting at a desk.

I hate to think about fall, especially since we are in northern Maine.

Merikay said...

I like fall more than spring. Most people wouldn't say that, but I love the color and the crisp air.