Thursday, September 1, 2011

Long Vistas and Faraway Views

Today’s word of the day from Merriam Webster is coruscate (\KOR-uh-skayt\ verb - 1 : to give off or reflect light in bright beams or flashes : sparkle ; 2 : to be brilliant or showy in technique or style). The coruscating water at Presqu’ile reflected our happiness at being there. There are some places where you just feel at home and this is one of those places for us. Perhaps it is the friendly little town of Brighton, or maybe it’s the wild spaces in the park. I think though that it is great expanse of water that draws us there.

I notice that when we are driving somewhere my eye seeks out the long vistas and faraway views. Perhaps this is because I spent my formative years in the prairie where the eye could see forever. Forests and mountains make me feel choked and claustrophobic while wide open spaces with big skies and far horizons allow my soul to soar.

The prairie is my spiritual home and I miss it. I sometimes wonder if the darkness that I experience is really just my soul aching for it’s true home.

 

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Khalil Gibran

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Nice picture of you and your dad. I love being far out on the ocean for the same reasons.