Saturday, October 15, 2011

Glassware Where?

Last night we had a lovely supper with Kari, Trevor and Meryl. Kari is 5 years younger than me, but is my Aunt! Meryl is my grandmother by marriage – step-grandmother I guess that is. We were lucky enough to have Kari and her husband Trevor move to our end of the country a few years ago. Since the mid 70’s we’ve lived in Ontario while the bulk of our relatives are in Alberta – so it has been nice having some family nearby.

20111014_kari-trevor_003

Kari brought over a birthday present, some lovely glasses and a pitcher all packed in a lovely basket. She is an amazing present giver putting my attempts at reciprocation to shame. The funny thing is, just the other day I was thinking to myself that I would like some new glasses, I’ve had the old ones for almost 20 years (oh my, no wonder I was getting bored with them!). Thanks Aunty Kari ;-)

20111015_glasses_001

But now I had the troublesome task of finding somewhere to put them… unlike Mother Hubbard my cupboards are far from bare. I ended up taking out some of the old ones and will pack them up in the basement. I won’t get rid of them as I still do like them… I think I’ll designate one of the storage room shelves for stuff to rotate into and out of use. One of the blogs I read is called “I’m An Organizing Junkie” – her name is Laura but that’s where the similarity ends… she’s really good at organizing her home.

Pleasures: the smell of roasted red peppers and related to that, putting up (freezing) a huge pile of peppers to warm our tummies in the long winter ; seeing all the bright red “burning bushes”(?) gracing people’s front gardens ; cleaning a spot in the kitchen cupboard for new glasses and then using one with ice water and lemon juice with my lunch ;

20111015_sketch_001Sketch practice day #2… a cauliflower that I grew tired of filling in (so many squiggles) so I chopped the top off and planted a few flowers (very doodly flowers) into its crown. Next time – be patient and don’t try to be “creative”.

 

Art depends on luck and talent.
Francis Ford Coppola

No comments: