Tuesday, November 1, 2011

One Day at a Time

First day of diet – treadmill; banana for breakfast, lemony lentil soup & salad with pineapple, oh, and an ounce of walnuts  for lunch; roasted vegetables & lentils with strawberries for dessert. Good start! I just have to keep this up for 42 more days – WAIT – remember, just one day at a time, try not to overset goals or they become overwhelming… but hey – I can do this forever, and may have to since I can’t seem to manage regular eating without bad consequences…

First step to getting prepared for good eating is to stop pvr-ing Lydia’s Italy and other cooking shows – THEY DON’T HELP! Bye bye food channel, so long Italy, hello vegetable garden.

20111030_property_013

Pleasures: listening to some music (http://youtu.be/DVXFONkLPok), I poked around YouTube and then came across this one (http://youtu.be/aXwEBp3cKfM) – did you know that Louis Armstrong sang the Bare Necessities in Disney’s Jungle Book – I didn’t - it’s one of my favourite songs in a movie ; getting outside into the sunshine – it was +12C today!

Not a pleasure at all – near heart-attack – Spike was found ON THE ROAD – all in one piece thankfully. After a bit of time inside by himself I brought him out by the gate to enforce that he is not to go near the gate – as I was standing there a truck slowed to a stop and rolled down its window – the guy inside said “oh, I’m see you got your dog back – I saw him on the road earlier but I was on my way to the dump – he looked like the kind of dog that someone would pick up”. What did he mean by that? Do you think he meant that someone might see him and STEAL him? OMG I just can’t bear the thought, it makes me sick just to think about what might have happened. And Spike, well, he knew he had done something wrong but does he know what? Only time will tell, but one thing for sure, I’ll be keeping my eye on him.

20111031_property_003

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past,
not to worry about the future, nor to anticipate troubles, b
ut to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.
Buddha

2 comments:

Merikay said...

Our property was set up such that it was almost impossible to fence the dogs in. They liked to wander a bit, and got into trouble chasing a neighbors cat. Aside from the road dangers. Our solution was an electronic fence with collars that warned the dogs if they got to close, and shocked them if they crossed the line. It took a couple of times for the larger lab to learn, but she did. I thought it was cruel, but I would have felt worse if they had been hit by a car, or shot by an irate neighbor. I had one dog die that way years ago.

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Scary about Spike! Since we are in the motorhome all the time, Halley only gets out on the leash. Among other lack of skills, she seems to have absolutely no fear of cars:(