Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Baby Bok Choy


I made a new recipe last night - Baby Bok Choy sautéed with garlic and red pepper flakes, tossed with some lemon zest and then served over a mixture of brown rice and lentils. It came about because I had bought a huge bag of the babies at T&T (they were so lovely and fresh looking) and now had to figure out something to do with them. I had planned on mixing them with some other vegetables but we didn't make it to the grocery store. As it turns out it was a tasty enough meal that will be added to the regular rotation. So many nutrients!

20120123_bokchoy_002

Last night was also a good one for idle pleasures. For a bedtime snack I cut a thick slice of bread and popped it in the toaster. Spread with peanut butter, its crispy outside and soft inside was totally enjoyed. What a taste treat. Now you may have noticed that I had this really healthy supper but then was hungry by bedtime... if I was being really serious I'd just ignore the hunger and go to bed, but, since I dropped down on a med dosage I'm having trouble sleeping to start with so don't want to make it any harder. blah blah blah.

20111227_lights_005Christmas lights were another idle pleasure. I had accidently left the bedroom curtain open a bit - when I lay down in bed I saw that I could see the lights in the tree outside :-)  Sweet. That's a happy sight to fall asleep to.

I have gotten out of the habit of listing all the pleasures everyday, but they are somewhat repetitive - sunny day, sunlight on the wall, fresh pineapple, crunch of snow, starry nights, Christmas lights (yes the outside tree is still lit up), puffy poodles (next week will be a hair cut day for them), flowers - lots of flowers - the daffodils are on their last legs but are still giving a bit of a show, and the roses are in full bloom, getting up when I naturally wake up and not to an alarm, walking on our land. These are just off the top of my head. I try to note things throughout the day.

Today has been a lazy one. We started out on our morning walk but with the warm temperatures we were just wrecking the path so we turned back before any more damage was done. We need that path to last us for the rest of the winter! Once we got back inside I read all the blogs I follow and then fired up Quicken so that I could do some analysis of our spending for last year. It is fun to tab through some of the reports and see that 3% of our spending was for the pets, or that we spent $2600+ on gas for the two vehicles. There wasn't anything that will prompt changes but it is nice to have an idea where everything goes.

If you awake every morning with the thought that something wonderful will happen in your life today, you'll often find that you are right.
Nancy Sathre-Vogel

2 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

That sounds like a good dinner to me. If I am hungry before bed, I have a banana. They are suppose to help you sleep :)

Terri's Pal said...

Do you have recipe(s) to make veggies taste like Chinese food? I find that lately I just can't "get into" eating veggies (uh oh!). Peanut butter sandwiches are one of my main meals of the day.