Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Quintessential Winter Day

Plenty of sun and freezing cold temperatures greeted us this morning. It was -18 with a wind so we put off our morning walk to mid-afternoon when it warmed up a bit. And what a lovely walk it was. With the sun glinting off the ice covered vegetation it looked like fairies had dusted the earth with diamond dust. Such a pretty sight. I really do love all the seasons and would (possibly) miss winter.

20120114_winter-property_003

20120114_winter-property_004

20120114_winter-property_009

Before I forget - last night's lentil dish was great. With the fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, and parsley), as well as the juice and zest of a lemon it was a bright, fresh tasting dish. It was easy to make, fat free, and low carb - a perfect addition to our regular rotation. Talking about regular rotation - I've been in a bit of a rut with menu planning. My friend Ruth told me that she used to have 6 weeks worth of menu plans that she would cycle through. This kept her from repeating things too often. I think this is a great idea and got started this afternoon. It's harder than you think! I thought I had a good plan made but then realized that I hadn't taken into account ingredients and how to use them for multiple dishes to reduce waste so it's back to square one for me.

20120112_flowers_001

No comments: