Monday, February 13, 2012

Last Minute

I’ve been feeling especially lazy the last few days – I don’t know if it’s the weather (sunny) or just the time of year but I’m not doing much beyond laying in the sun reading. Saturday was no different, but by 2pm I was thinking that having friends over for supper would be nice. It was awfully last minute but what the heck I gave them a ring. Lucky for me they were home and had no plans.

20120205_dogs_006

Now the hard part – feeding them! I checked in the fridge – broccoli, turkey breast, mushrooms, roasted red pepper in the freezer… what to make? Stir fry! So I cut up the turkey into bite sized pieces and marinated them in chopped garlic, zest & juice of 1 lemon, some soy sauce and a dash of sesame oil. The rest of the ingredients got chopped up, and I added some fresh ginger as well. Voila, dinner in a jiffy. It turned out pretty good – now I just have to remember what I did for the next time (hence the detailed description above).

Jo Ellen and Don (and Lady) arrived just on time. With a fire flickering in the fireplace we enjoyed a leisurely dinner and visit. It is nice to have friends that you can just casually invite over and not worry too much about the state of the house or the fanciness of the meal.

I did want to bash Carm at one point though. He dragged everyone down to the basement. I gotta tell you – our basement is not for the faint of heart… it has piles and piles and shelves and shelves of stuff. How could we have so much stuff? It is a lot better arranged since we have spent some time down there lately, but really – it SHOULD NOT be on a house tour! Got that Carm!

20120127_basement_001

before

20120130_basement_005

after – still some work to do, but really, how can you make tools look really neat and tidy without putting them into containers of some sort

This evening we are having supper at my Mom & Dad’s. It’s Dad’s 70th birthday today – what a milestone! Last year I posted a few old photos of him and I think I’ll do the same again today. In both of these photos he is just 20 years old (20!). My mom is just 18 (yes 18!).

album_laura_baby_03

album_laura_baby_21

When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves.
William Arthur Ward

No comments: