Sunday, February 26, 2012

We Can Become Known

Whew! I am pooped... this morning as soon as Carm was out the door I had the house torn back apart. To get the job done required dozens of trips up and down the stairs - my legs are like rubber. Especially since our path around the field was all blown in with snow - it was boot top high this morning.

I'm not going to say much about what I did as I plan to link up to the 1 month organization challenge over at this web site. I found the challenge motivating - it got me up off my ... At the end of the month I will have a post where I just talk about what was done with shameful before pictures followed by amazing after pictures. There's nothing quite like thinking photos of all your stuff will be on the internet to get it cleaned up!

Rookno17_vintage_cooking_food_clipart_retroWe spent the evening at a friends house last night. Trudie made the most amazing meal. First, along with drinks, she had made a Garlicky Beet Spread  served with a variety of crackers, some dried figs & apricots and some cheese. Then we sat down at the dinner table to the most beautiful stewed tomatoes you have ever seen or tasted. I can't remember the variety, but it was a golden heirloom tomato - the colour was amazing. Of course they were from Trudie's garden, and canned by Trudie herself. Then we had a mixed green salad with homemade lox and homemade cheese (you see where I am going with this!). Then we had salmon with a maple/pinenut crust, butternut squash cooked with chicken broth, rosemary and thyme. Along side of that were homemade gnocchi in some kind of tasty wine sauce. We brought the dessert - store bought chocolate mousse cake (how lame). Then there were cheeses and chocolates to nibble on (as if we were hungry) while we had some sort of national Chilean liqueur (i.e. firewater). Aside from the wonderful meal the conversation was interesting and fun. How will I ever match her hospitality? There was a time in my life that I would go all out making dinner for guests. Those days are long gone! Now if I can get something on the table that everyone likes then I'm happy.

20120226_dogs_010

I read a blog post yesterday (read it here) that really made me think. I'd like to share it with you to see what you think about her views. Carm's opinion was that the author is very unhappy and trying to make the reader unhappy too. However it didn't make me unhappy... it made me think and it lead to an interesting discussion. And somehow, to me anyway, it validated my recent openness. Maybe that is why I liked it.

One big hurrah for the newest firmware update to my Asus Transformer! Spell check! In blogger and email. Oh yay cause I am a terrible speller!

I received this from a friend the other day – I thought it was so poetic.

Keep concentrating on the simple pleasures and may the only dogs accompanying you be the dogs you own and love, not the black dog of depression.

No comments: