Sunday, April 22, 2012

Turkey in the Straw

I can't believe how fast time is speeding by.

I was reminded again the other day just how much I love this place. I was in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher (ho hum) when Spike started growling at the window to the backyard. I looked out the window and there was a big tom turkey! Right in the backyard! Later in the day we saw a bird that we've never seen before (Northern Flicker), and then still on that day the kingfisher came back for a visit as well as a pair of mallard ducks. Of course there are also tons of robins (one is building a nest on the drain spout under the eves just outside the kitchen window), there are grackles, and sparrows, and the geese. Some days we see a red tail hawk overhead,  or maybe the turkey buzzards. All outside my kitchen window! No wonder I don't mind being in there. It's wonderful.

20120420_turkey_001

20120420_turkey_001-sm

The  weather has been really crappy the last several days. Some days it is raining so much I don't get the dogs out for their walk. Tomorrow they are calling for snow. And I had hoped that we would get out for our first camp in April.

Yesterday was spent cleaning the house (I really miss our house cleaner), it was cloudy and grey - not my favourite time for cleaning. Thank goodness that Carm pitches in and does a good portion of it. Then at 1pm I started cooking. We were having friends over and I wanted to keep the meal within my  diet guidelines but didn't want them feeling like they were in a rabbit hutch. It wasn't a particularly complicated menu, but gosh everything takes so long to make. Carm was a great help - he is a pretty good sous chef. As we neared the end he commented that he never would have had any idea about what goes into making such a meal if he hadn't been helping. (thanks honey).

FB_IMG_13350519495731122

The discovery of the day was the dry roasted chickpeas. They were good! And really easy to make. The roasted asparagus were also great - and oh, so easy. We also served kale chips - every last one of them (3 trays worth) got eaten up. People were surprised at how good they are - this time I just used olive oil, sirracha and salt. I love sirracha and sometimes think of putting it on everything.

The world is slowly turning more and more green. Green day is getting closer – perhaps a whole week early this year.  20120420_property_001

The greatest pleasure of life is love.
Euripides

No comments: