Sunday, May 27, 2012

10K Race

Today was the big 10K race here in Ottawa and since it was a treadmill day I thought I’d see if I could do it. One and one half hours later I was done – 10K (6.25 miles). I was tired, but after a short rest and an electrolyte replacing smoothie (coconut water, banana, almond butter, and a bit of almond milk) I could have done some more (I didn’t!).

The dogs watched me (when they weren’t sound asleep) from the comfort of the futon – I think they might need their own treadmill so that they can start to get fitter.

I think I’ll put a long walk into my regime once every week or so. It might increase my endurance. I will also start working more on speed – I haven’t done any more running since I did the 1 mile in four little bursts… time to get back at that. Imagine being able to jog/run 10K… a girl can dream can’t she!

Birds-BlueEggs-vintageimage-Graphics-FairyI got plenty of time to watch the robins in the tree outside the treadmill window. I think the babies hatched last night or this morning. They grow so quickly – I think they’ll be gone in less than 2 weeks. Much different from the parrot babies which would be weaned at 12 – 16 weeks at the earliest.

A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.
Walt Whitman

1 comment:

Merikay said...

Amazing how undeveloped the parrot chicks are when they hatch! Compared to ducklings and chicken chicks! They are ready to go hours after hatching!