Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sweating to the Oldies

Today was a beautiful day, just the kind of day that we have been expecting for weeks. Carm got out there and got the grass cut - none too soon that's for sure, it was thick and long in places. I got out for a short walk with the dogs.

20120505_spring-property_005

The other day I posted with a heading of Swallows Swooping, and then forgot to mention anything at all about them. To my delight the swallows are back and have taken over the barn again. I have a good view of the barn from the kitchen window and get so much pleasure of watching them swoop about. There is something very uplifting about the freedom from gravity that they seem to have.

20120505_spring-property_008

We've had a good spring of bird watching so far with many different species spotted. Just off the top of my head we've seen: Canada Geese, Turkey, Mallard ducks, robins, red-wing blackbirds, northern flicker,  some sort of small woodpecker with a red head, grackles, crows, cardinals, barn swallows, morning doves, tiny little finch like birds that we haven't identified, little brown sparrows, great blue heron, kingfisher.  All from the kitchen window :-)

20120505_laura-workout_003Here's a picture that will shock you - I've just gotten off the treadmill (77 minutes for 5.25 miles). Yes that is actual sweat! I actually ran (a bit)! I don't do this but now I am and I'm loving it! I love seeing how hard I can press myself. I can actually start to feel muscle building (very little)! It's been years since I've had any. Life is good :-) 

After all that working out I rested for a bit and then headed out to the camper with the vacuum cleaner. The slide came out for the first time this year and I start to get it back in shape from the long winter. I always give it a good clean before putting it to bed for the winter, but honestly it is a wasted effort as it gets so dirty over the winter. Where do all those dead flies come from? And why are there new spider webs on the ceiling? And why does everything feel dusty? Who knows why but it is. So off came the sofa slipcover to go straight into the washer, then the vacuum started, then clothes returned to their designated spots (I empty everything into a mouse proof plastic bin in the fall), when whew... I've had it for the day. I'd love to sit down with a cold beer and a bag of chips... but instead settled for some lemon water and 3 pita chips.

20120505_trailer_001

News Flash! I just got off the phone with my brother Olaf – he is now a dad and I am an auntie. It seems unbelievable as it was just yesterday that he was born. I was 14 at the time and remember him being a day old infant clearly. So welcome Freya Violet. I guess you are a kiwi, but hopefully you’ll become a Canadian sometime in your future.

Since it was Audrey Hepburn’s birthday yesterday – Freya’s birthday I’ll share a quote from her.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
Audrey Hepburn

No comments: