Thursday, August 9, 2012

Small World

20120806_lake-from-site_002Yesterday was a perfect Presquile day (well almost, more about that later). In the morning it was cool enough for a lovely lighthouse walk, and by afternoon it was hot with little wind making it perfect for swimming and then reading in the shade (yes! I didn't need a sweater outside yesterday). The water was perfect for swimming - a reasonable temperature with little pockets of cold to refresh so we went in a few times. Even the dogs got to wade in and have a short swim.

20120807_swim_001

When we got to the lighthouse on our walk I popped into the shop to see what there was to see. I want a little piece of art for the wall across from the sofa (on the camper of course). There were a couple that I liked so I sent Carm in and while he was lingering in the air conditioning started up a conversation with the artist who had her supplies set up in the shade. It turned out that she used to live right around the corner from us and knew some of the same people! What a small world.  She pointed me to a few other galleries to look at art so I've delayed my lighthouse art until I look at the others.

20120808_jobes-woods_002

We kept to healthy eating yesterday... except for the buttertarts! Everything else was veggies, veggies, veggies. Supper was Thai vegetables (red peppers, snap peas, carrots, radishes, green onions, ginger, garlic, hot red peppers, sesame oil, a dash of soya, and a dash of apple cider vinegar) and then mixed with a little bit of whole wheat pasta. YUM! Buy my oh my it takes a lot of prep! And the bbq wasn't as hot as I would have liked so it took ages to cook everything. The wait was well worth it though.

Okay, now on to the less than perfect part. At 8:30pm last night we took the dogs out for their last potty walk. We walk along the causeway road cause there are no campsites there, nor do people use it for other than walking. Anyway, a family on bicycles comes towards us with dad leading the way, he passes us safely and then a little boy weaving on his bike passes us with just a few feet to spare (keep in mind that we are walking facing traffic on the very edge of the road with no where to go other than poison ivy and then a swamp). He was pretty young to be riding a bike where there were so many people and cars, but he did okay. I looked behind me to make sure he passed Carm safely then glanced down at the dogs to make sure they were still to my left and out of the roadway. When I looked up, the next bicycle was coming right for me. And I mean right for me. I said "LOOK OUT!", and the boy looked up in time to swerve to avoid hitting me. He missed me by about a foot and apologized for not seeing us (head down) as he rode by.  Finally the mother passed me by. After she passed she lit into Carm about cutting the kid some slack, blah blah and was quite virulent. I asked Carm what he said – nothing, not a word - he had just silently shaken his head at her inattention as a parent more than anything else (who else is going to teach safe riding habits like looking where you are going).

A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behaviour is patience and moderation.
Moliere

Why do I let little things like this upset me so much. I've been ruminating about it ever since and just can't seem to let it go. I think my unbalanced mood has me fixated on it... sometimes writing things down helps so please cross your fingers for me.

Today is cloudy and a bit cool with the odd droplet of rain. Not so good for sitting outside, but perfect for lunch out and a drive. So that's what we did. First stop, Captain George's for a giant platter of deep fried fish, french fries, and onion rings. Gulp. I can't believe I ate the whole thing (Carm helped with the fries though) but it was good. The fish was lightly battered and tender soft, the shrimp were big, the scallops were crispy. Enough fat for a year...

Then after a quick stop at a local art gallery we started down the back roads along the lake - gawking at the lovely views. And wishing we were there.

20120809_spike-window_003

After we got back we met our new across the street neighbours Bill and Brenda. They are from Brighton and camp here on and off all summer. Lucky them! We are looking forward to sharing a bottle of wine and hearing more about life in Brighton.

All in all a pretty darn good last few days.

20120809_window_002

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Khalil Gibran

No comments: