Thursday, October 25, 2012

There Was An Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe

Oh my gosh, looking for shoes has been a real trial. You might remember that I was out by myself last Friday (bought shoes - returned them), then Carm and I were out on Saturday (bought shoes - haven't yet returned them). Yesterday we were out again. I must have tried on at least 20 pairs of shoes yesterday. None fit or else they hurt my feet (I have a fubared big toe where I was once stomped on by a horse). I did buy one pair that seemed okay. Once I got home and wore them around for a bit I realized that they too have to go back. Which leaves me with the SoftMoc black suede clogs - not pretty, but super comfortable. Today I went out myself to a local store; tried on about 5 pairs; one pair might have done the trick but then I asked about their return policy - exchange or store credit only. So.... I'm still left with just the clogs that fit after having tried on probably 30 pairs of shoes in total. Yeesh. BUT I am not giving up! The right shoe is out there somewhere!



BTW - a girlfriend would NOT have helped me find what I was looking for, Carm was pretty good at that job, and the sales people have been pretty helpful as well. I do love the stores with racks and racks of shoes with the boxes underneath so I could help myself. I worried less about trying too many on.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention - CARM found a new pair of shoes - I was so happy for him...

I would love to be able to wear some dressy shoes with a bit of a heel. I have never been one to be fashionable but I'd love to once and a while!



I played around with the wardrobe planner software. It is a lot of bother to take pictures of all of your clothes. Especially when, realistically I only have t-shirts in a few colours (no patterns), jeans, jean capris, a pair of black pants and black capris. Not much to match with! It did make me realize how limited my wardrobe is - how did I ever get myself dressed for work? Luckily in the tech world being a fancy dresser is not really required (but likely would have been appreciated). And since I worked a lot with young 20 something boys, some with earrings, others with skateboards... I think wearing casual clothes that it was easier to convince them that I was on their side and that documentation was really something that would benefit them (that's my story and I'm sticking with it).

The thing is, in working times we already had to get up at 5am, and to add makeup, other clothes, etc. on top of everything else we would have had to set the alarm 15 minutes earlier - that's 4:45 folks! Not gonna happen. Not to mention that when I was struggling with mood things I usually didn't care enough about myself.



It is less than one week till the end of weight loss challenge phase one. I'm not going to make it but it looks like everyone else will. Be sure to send me your results next week so I can post them on Nov 1st (cause the 31st counts as a day right!).



The mind ought sometimes to be diverted that it may return to better thinking.
Phaedra

1 comment:

Merikay said...

I found the most comfortable shoes by accident. I had stopped at a GOODWILL looking for interesting things for the RV and notice a bin of almost new shoes near the door. On top was a pair of Nu Balance shoes that looked like they would fit. They did and they were absolutely new. I don't think I would buy used shoes.

Anyway I notice they were marked a size smaller than I usually wear so I assumed they had been somehow mis labeled and that was why someone had donated them.

When I was looking for hiking boots a salesman told me the Nu Balance shoes I liked so much were MENS. They look like brown tennis shoes to me.

I then started trying on men's hiking boots, virtually identical in appearance to the women's, and found ones that fit perfectly. Seems I have a masculine foot!

I don't wear heels, and have only one pair of dress flats. I still have one dress in my closet from a wedding I went to several years ago, but it will soon go into my Goodwill bag because it is to big for me. :~)