Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Weep no More for I Have Fallen

It's not what you think!

We were across the creek at our neighbor's dairy farm (more about that later) and I looked across and saw... our lovely weeping willow is no more... I could see the raw gash where it had broken and split to the ground. We planted that tree the first summer we bought the land and have watched it grow ever since. I love weeping willows and envisioned a line of them along the creek. We planted this one back from the edge, and up the second bank a bit so it survived until now. I took cuttings one year and planted them closer along the banks, but alas, the creek is too wicked in the spring for any tree to survive very long. So now we have none. Weep.

It was a dreary day so the photos are dim and depressing, nor could I get a photo of the downed tree as my zoom isn't powerful enough.




We picked up this lovely bottle of bubbles to try - it is one of the prettiest looking bottles I've seen. We decided to try it tonight (in memory of the willow of course - that's a good reason isn't it?) in case it is really good. If so, since it is in the Vintages section we have a limited time to stock up. (Merikay - I can see that by avoiding alcohol you are cutting a goodly amount of calories from your diet). We did at least drink it with a healthy sweet potato, black bean, spinach, zucchini, etc. stew. One of the wonderful thing about sparkling wines is that they can pair with ANY food - even the most difficult.



The dogs lucked out with their supper tonight as Trudie had given them a few bags of pig feet (not to be eaten all at once of course). Not appealing visually (for me), but from the crunching it seems they dogs are appreciating them.




From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.
Edvard Munch

2 comments:

The Odd Essay said...

I, too, grieve over your weeping willow. My own weeping willow ceased to exist a few short years ago. It was my favorite tree on our entire 15 acre farm.... came in well above the thousands of white pines that Bill planted as seedlings and now tower over the others. The silver maples couldn't hold a candle to it... the fruit trees are nice and provide us food... but... the weeping willow... ahhhhhh.... the dreams and the fantasies it could evoke. I mourn your weeping willow... as you will for years to come.

Merikay said...

I have had a few special trees in my life. It is sad to see them downed.

I have had to give up the wine for a number of reasons, calories, blood sugar, gouty arthritus, and an anti inflamatory I take that has strong warnings about drinking spirits. It is a daily struggle. But worth it for me.

I thought of you with the kale salad!