Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our Tuesday, Your Monday

I've already told you about waking up to a beautiful day and having my coffee outside with Kirsten. Well, contrary to Wellington fashion the day stayed spectacular all day. I'm pretty sure I didn't see a cloud in the sky, and there was just enough wind to keep the bugs away, but no more than that.

We putzd around the house in the morning, looking on the internet for places to stay, and eating yummy eggs (you really can't beat a home grown free range egg!). Kirsten and I eventually drove into town to run some errands and do a tiny bit of shopping. I found a cute short sleeve t-shirt for just $15.00 and some dishtowels at $2.00 each. Pretty cheap souvenirs!

Some observations - I don't notice very many heavy people - either they can't make it up the hills to where the shops are, or NZers are just a bit more healthy than back home. Also, they are very friendly. In the shops I have had conversations with both the clerks, and with other customers. They are more open and chatty than back home, where sometimes people look at me like I'm from Mars for starting a conversation!

We stopped at the grocery store to stock up on things for our trip - fruit, meat bars, cream cheese, baguettes, chocolate! We'll certainly be stopping places to pick up food, but it is nice to have things on hand.

Our plan is to drive up to Napier tomorrow to spend our first night. From there we aren't 100% sure where we'll head, but since Kirsten has a smartphone we'll be good. Plus there only seem to be a few major routes for us to follow so we won't get lost.

I made a video of a bit of the drive from Makara into Wellington, but my battery died just as we got to the really fun part. When I watched it after a battery recharge I got a little dizzy! When I get home I will be sure to post it to youtube so you can all have a tiny bit of the fun. (seriously though, the video doesn't really capture the whole carsickness feeling).

Tonight I got out when it was dark and got a little look at the sky - it is different!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but none of the windows have screens. The birds must be mainly seed eaters cause there sure aren't a lot of bugs flying around. Apparently I've been lucky so far too as there haven't been any sandflies which ate my dad's ankles a few years back.

There have been no big walks for me the last few days - I'm beat!


Happy Tails!

No comments: