Friday, January 11, 2013

Waltzing Matilda

Hanging around an airport by yourself for 10 hours is hard. It is 1:45 on Friday and my plane doesn't leave until 6:45 so there is still a ways to go.

I've done everything to fill up my water (twice), have a shower, have some lunch, shop, sit and stare, read stuff on my tablet, and now here I am sitting in yet another place (a mostly empty departure gate), getting glimpses of planes landing and taking off. The bigger planes seem to take off only due to sheer force of will as they ponderously rise into the air. One of the windows I was at I could see downtown Sydney in the distance.



I thought of going out into Sydney, but there were no bus tours directly from the terminal that fit my time constraints, and the idea of just getting on a bus or train and winging it turned my hair grey. Not to mention all the stuff I'd have to lug with me. No - I think that is best done when there are two of us. At least I got a little glimpse of the coast when we landed.



This is a huge sprawling terminal - I've more than made up my hours of sitting by walking it from one end to the next a few times over. I've noticed that there are one or two asian airlines that have very nice uniforms - very sharp looking. But my gosh working in those heels must be a huge drag.

The only birds I've see are pigeons. I guess they live everywhere! And I saw a dragonfly - right in the middle of all this tarmac. The people watching is good too, some flashes to Monty Python.

It is just past 5pm here and they have finally posted the gate, so I'm going to camp out here until it is time to go. I don't know when I'll be able to post again, hopefully after my full day tomorrow :-)


Happy Tails!

No comments: