Friday, February 8, 2013

Jack and Jill

Jack and Jill went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown
and Jill came tumbling after.

I always thought it strange that they went up the hill to get the water - surely the water would be at the lowest point - but it seems they were here in NZ, perhaps even at my sister's place.

They ran out of water this evening so Kirsten, Nissa and I headed up the hill (why so steep?), stopping first near the reservoir. Nissa scrambled across the hill to check - sure enough it was empty. So we continued up the hill, following a steep sheep track, till we got to the little fenced area that holds the spring. It seems like some silt had blocked the pipe that drains down to the reservoir. Nissa did a good job of cleaning it up and it wasn't long before we heard the burbling of water down the pipes. Crisis averted.

We were lucky that it was discovered when it was - as it was by the time we got up there I had enough light for only a couple of minutes before the pictures were too dark. I'll do a separate post with photos when I'm somewhere more internet capable! I had a pretty good view of the farmstead. Some of the photos give a good idea of where my "sleep out" is compared to the house, etc.

We had brought flashlights to light our way down if necessary, but made the trip with a bit of daylight. Good thing too as it was a steep track with rocks to trip us up. Part of it I went down backwards as it was that steep. Of course Nissa clambered/scrambled around the hill like a mountain goat! Oh to be so young and agile.

I'll sleep well after all this exercise!

Happy Tails!

No comments: