Monday, March 18, 2013

What We Yearn to Be

Today was a bright sunny day, but cold - little Spike was lifting his feet up as we came around to the barn on our walk this morning. The last few mornings I've heard the red-wing blackbirds singing in the cold. I wonder how they'll survive tomorrows blizzard with a forecast of 15cm snow and cold winds. If only I were Cinderella and could open the doors of the house for them to all fly in. Alas, I'm not.

Carm and I headed out to Ikea for some shopping. I lured him out with the promise of lunch (at Ikea of course). We each had a nice enough lunch for $7 something for both of us. The store was fairly quiet making for a pleasant experience, but we didn't find everything that we were looking for. But we did get a chair for the camper to replace the one that is just too big (it fits, but just, with no room for error). We'll bring the other into the house so we'll have 2 matching recliners - the livingroom will be filled with chairs and sofas!

Last night we watched an old film by Roberto Rossellini with Ingrid Bergman. It was an interesting movie to me as its theme seemed to be about finding meaning in our lives (among other things). The link below goes to an essay about the meaning of the movie. Sometimes movies are just pure entertainment, but sometimes they speak to us on a personal level. At one point in the movie she did a soliloquy that I hoped to find the words of, but I haven't had any luck.

http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/view?docId=ft709nb48d&chunk.id=d0e4091&toc.id=d0e3357&brand=ucpress


Life is a series of collisions with the future; it is not the sum of what we have been, but what we yearn to be.
Jose Ortega y Gasset

No comments: