Saturday, July 6, 2013

Every Green Tree is Far More Glorious

It was an extremely pleasant day today - sunny, hot, a light breeze - summer :-) Carm was away golfing for much of the morning and early afternoon so I just took the dogs for a short walk, cleaned the camper, downloaded some "old time" radio shows, and then relaxed outside. Hurrah for the electric awnings - it was a snap for me to deploy them for some shade. I'm sure I've mentioned before how much I love them!

I put Grace outside this morning while I was doing the downloading and it wasn't long before I could hear another camper whistling back and forth with her. She loves that! And the other campers seem to get some amusement as well. Hopefully her whistles don't bother other people as her voice does carry. I figure she sounds a lot nicer than the crows and geese so I don't worry about it too much. It's not like she's a barking dog (usually!). By supper time she was barely standing on her perch and couldn't keep her eyes open she was so tired. She perked up when we sat down for supper beside her and there was salmon on our plates. She loves salmon and will gobble down as much as we'll give her. She did balance her meal with some green beans though ;-)

I was surfing around looking for quotes and came across this one by Laura Ingalls Wilder that struck me as being so true - sometimes when you read something you feel a response behind your eyes:

“As the years pass, I am coming more and more to understand that it is the common, everyday blessings of our common everyday lives for which we should be particularly grateful. They are the things that fill our lives with comfort and our hearts with gladness -- just the pure air to breathe and the strength to breath it; just warmth and shelter and home folks; just plain food that gives us strength; the bright sunshine on a cold day; and a cool breeze when the day is warm.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder, Writings to Young Women from Laura Ingalls Wilder - Volume One: On Wisdom and Virtues


Merikay mentioned that in the south west US, green is not the prime colour, but instead it is earth tone or sand. Not so here - these days it is so green it almost hurts your eyes. We've had more rain than normal which has kept everything from drying out... including the fields of grass that should be hay by now. Speaking of vegetation - our campsite is surrounded by giant trees that are covered by white flowers - I don't know what they are, but the fragrance is amazing! I think they smell like nutmeg.

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.
Martin Luther

No comments: