Sunday, August 18, 2013

It’s really something to see

DSCN3028

This morning (Sunday) we drove 1/2 hour out of town to Red Rock Coulee, an amazing place with large round, red boulders dotting the area. Some of the rocks are as high as I am. The parking area is on a bluff, high above the surrounding countryside - on a clear day you can see forever. In fact we could see the Sweet Grass Hills on the horizon, about 40 miles away.
It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and deserted. Beautiful.

DSCN3031

 

To feel the prairie wind blow against my sun warmed skin, while my eyes drunk in the far off vistas was spiritual.

 

DSCN3035

I let the dogs off their leashes to get some sillies out - they ran and ran - they couldn't have had more fun. Kabira doesn't go that far from me, always the protector, but the poodles - they just ran joyously hither and tither, ears flying behind them. Once they had stretched their legs and got the crazies out they were happy to stick close to us.

DSCN3050

 

DSCN3059

DSCN3068

DSCN3077

DSCN3089

I must have taken well over a hundred photos as I wanted to capture the essence of the place to bring back to Ontario with me. Perhaps it can't be done... but at least I can look at the photos and imagine myself back there, if only for a moment.

DSCN3105

The health of the eye seems to demand a horizon. We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

DSCN3108can we do that again soon?

No comments: