Wednesday, September 18, 2013

summer's best of weather

There were no big plans for my birthday today except that we are out at the campground (my favourite place to spend a bday). We went for a long walk, had lunch at the Basket Case (club sandwich), read in the sun and had a nap.

DSCN3782

Then we went to our dancing lessons, which were a blast. There were lots of laughs, mostly at each other (we both have two left feet). Last night we learnt the Cha Cha - and I use the word learnt to mean that the steps were shown to us and we tried to mimic them… We may or may not remember then when we practice.

After our class we came back to the camper for a late supper with a celebratory bottle of bubbles.

A quiet day camping, with the sun shining (oh! it was beautiful!), which is just what I like.

DSCN3787

Monday we went to the McIntosh & Watts outlet store in Lancaster to get my birthday present. They have all sorts of merchandise, but what I wanted was a mug with Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Nights" on it. The painting has become a bit of a mantra for me, reminding me that there is a good side to being bipolar. Sometimes, like the last few days, when greyer thoughts predominate it is good to have a visual reminder. Plus it holds two coffee cups worth of tea!

DSCN3785

 

I heard this song on the radio yesterday and the day before - after years of hearing it and singing along, I finally noticed the lyrics, perhaps because I’m struggling with a little bit of greyness myself and I’m hoping for a “bright, bright sun-shiny day”. As wonderful as the sun was yesterday I still can’t see clearly…


I Can See Clearly Now Lyrics by Johnny Nash.

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone, I can see all obstacles in my way Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) Sun-Shiny day.
I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I’ve been prayin for
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) Sun-Shiny day.
Look all around, there’s nothin but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin but blue skies
I can see clearly now, the rain is gone, I can see all obstacles in my way Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind I
t’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) Sun-Shiny day.

By all these lovely tokens September days are here, With summer's best of weather And autumn's best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson

No comments: