Saturday, October 19, 2013

Our Trees all Topped

We are back home, or I should say back at the house home. The prediction of rain all day yesterday didn’t pan out so we had an easy breakdown and were on the road fairly early. We were greeted by a beautiful rose on one of our bushes! What a surprise this time of year.

DSCN4080

We are really glad we had taken a chance on the weather forecast those last 4 wonderful days! It didn’t rain during the day at all, and only rained a bit overnight 2 of the nights. The forecast had called for rain every day.

So here it is Saturday – we are done camping for the year - I feel discombobulated and at loose ends. I’d love to go for a walk, but not on the speeding traffic roads that are around the house.  I guess a walk around the property would have to do. Unfortunately, it wasn’t going to help my mood any.

Before we left on our latest trip, the Ontario Power Corp were by to tell us they’d be cutting down some trees. Carm talked with they guy about our slow growing spruces that are along the power lines, but hardly under them. It would be decades, if ever, before they would interfere. Only a few might need trimming.

Well… we came home one day to find most of the trees on that stretch “topped”. They had come and cut the tops off of many of our beautiful trees!!!!! Even the trees in the next row were impacted. I couldn’t speak, and can still barely think about it. OPC was so heavy handed in what they “pruned” or cut down – I can’t think of a nice word to say…

DSCN4090

A few of the trees barely brush the fence at the bottom; the fence is several feet from being underneath the lines. The trees would have to be 100’ tall before they’d be close to the lines. Oh my gosh – It makes me so mad – I’m getting myself all worked up about it again.

DSCN4094

 

Usually when I sit down to write my blog I find so much to write about, even if there was nothing in my mind to start. Not so today, but as I was sitting here the file directory was open in the window next to my blog writer – I decided to randomly open one photo to paste here.

125-2549_800

This is a photo of Petra, one of our foals. She was our first filly, and I had every intention of keeping her for our breeding program. She had everything: a good temperament, she was so easy going; athleticism; good conformation; and good bloodlines. Oh rats – I didn’t pick a good topic, it just leads my thoughts into why I didn’t keep her and all of those depressing memories… Not Helpful Today! (but it is cool photo so I’ll leave it at that!)

I watched a bit of “The Hobbit” last night as it was on the movie channel. It seemed more childish this watch, but there are still many great moments.

“Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.” Gandalf ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

No comments: