Sunday, November 3, 2013

Habitual Nourishment - Week 2 – on a roll

req-scale-graphicsfairy010bLooking back at my records (I am a computer junkie and keep online records about everything!)  I can see that since I lost the 20+ pounds in 2011, I have fluctuated in the 10 pound range. Falling back into old habits of eating out and ice cream (among other things), seems to be my trouble. So – HOW do I keep myself from falling into that trap again? I don’t know for sure, but I am really working on my attitude this time and am convincing myself that I really don’t want to eat that greasy, sugary food. It is working so far… but only time will tell!

This time around, I  am rarely hungry (and if I am there is a list of snacks on the fridge, things like celery and fruit), I haven’t been having cravings at all, even walking around Costco with all their taste samples has not tempted me; except for the sheets of seaweed(!) which I tasted and then grabbed the last pack on the shelf. I didn’t fully read the ingredients before I bought it though and when I got it home saw that it does have a bit of corn oil, but it is such a tiny amount I won’t worry about it.

The tricky part is what to eat when out and about. We met my brother at Tim Hortons (donut shop) for a coffee the other day. It was lunch time and I was starving. The menu didn’t have anything really healthy on it, so I chose a chicken noodle soup. White pasta noodles (drat), but otherwise not too bad. A small whole wheat bun came with it, which I ate without butter. I guess that’s a pass, but since it wasn’t 100% I gave myself a yellow on that day. I also treated myself to 1 beer at supper – wasted  calories…

873411aa9f9be79be2521656874c0ea1

Thursday’s smoothie was a bit too much on the “green” side: 4 8” stalks celery, 1 small zucchini, 3/4 cup broccoli, 2 cups spinach, 1 frozen banana, 1 frozen apple, tofu, 1T ground flax, 1T almond butter, 1 cup almond milk, and cold water as required. I usually add 1 more fruit, which sweetens it up just a bit more, but there wasn’t room! My blender was full to the top – it took me most of the day to drink it.

As I mentioned earlier, eating out is a challenge. Saturday night we were invited to friends for dinner – she was serving mac n’ cheese as the main course. I debated, but didn’t really want to slip up that badly, so I packed myself a healthy salad. I did have a bowl of her pumpkin sun-dried tomato soup (which was delish), and passed on dessert since I had brought a few oranges. I didn’t feel deprived or left out but did treat myself to a glass of wine. No animal products, no gluten, no added sugar so I guess it’s a pass. It would have been even easier to resist if people didn’t try to press me – even Carm (in fact he was the worst. Come on Carm, I thought you were on my side!).

For various reasons, including a very sore back, I haven’t started exercising. I hope to start the treadmill and incorporate some upper body exercises this coming week.

All in all the week was good, but the weight loss was somewhat disappointing. I expected better than a 1.5lb decline, alas. I think I’ve been having too many nuts and nut butter so will work to reduce that. I might be having too many grains as well: brown rice, black rice, whole wheat roll, tortilla… it all adds up. Looking at my log below I can also see that I’m forgetting to write down some things: hummus with the cabbage leaves, the handful of nuts here and there – maybe a sticky on the fridge would help.

image

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
Oct 20 (0) 21 22 23 24 25 26 (-3)
27 28 29 30 31 Nov 1 2 (-4.5)
           

= good day  = a small diversion from Eat to Live   = oh, oh (#) total pounds lost


I (try) eat a nutritarian diet, which is primarily a nutrient rich whole foods, plant-based diet based on ‘Eat to Live’ by Joel Fuhrman M.D. and ‘The China Study’ by T. Colin Campbell. Nutritional information is from http://caloriecount.about.com . I use this tool to help me to see the foods I require to get all my nutrition. I don’t use it to count calories.

No comments: