Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

You guessed it! Tuesday we met Jo Ellen and Don at the theatre to see The Hobbit yesterday. Imax 3D was done justice by the big scenes and exciting action. We all thought it was better than the first one, and since it ended on a cliff hanger we are anxious for the third and final instalment next year! As always with these LOTR movies, the CG (computer graphics) was great and really brought the characters and setting to life. Of course we watched the credits to cheer involved family members!

The movie was good, but it wasn’t heavy like the Hunger Games movie, so I had a good nights sleep! Sure there is a message: bravery, fellowship, etc. but that message is not as thought (and anxiety) provoking at the message in HG. Plus HG didn’t have any cool dragons!

Speaking of cool: we got Erik a Hobbit Drink cup complete with Gandalf on the lid (thanks Don!). I’m not sure what he’d drink out of it as it the biggest cup on earth (that was filled with sugary soda – thank goodness I didn’t drink it! – again, thanks Don!).

DSCN4410

We are getting into a bit of a habit with our Tuesday matinee movies, meeting up with Jo Ellen and Don. I hope we can keep finding movies that we all like as it is nice to get out of the house, and better still to see JE & D. There are advantages of being retired, and one of them is matinee movies! I’m not a big fan of going out after dark, with an afternoon viewing we can easily be home in time to make supper :-)

The arctic cold has dropped our part of the world into a deep-freeze. It is too cold to do more than take the dogs out quickly, then run back inside. Even Spike the adventurer runs full speed back to the house as soon as he has done his “business”. I was planning to give the poodles a full clip, but clipped their faces so they have thick hair for another few weeks.

We were at my parents for supper last night, I brought my own diet food, but when dessert was served, with my Mom’s shortbread on the plate, it was all I could do to not gobble it all down. But I resisted – I should have brought a few oranges to get me through.  On our drive home we got to see lots of lovely Christmas lights. I love how they brighten a cold winter night.

Legolas: It is not our fight.

Tauriel: It is our fight. It will not end here. With every victory, this evil will grow! If your father has his way, we will do nothing. We will hide with in our walls, live our lives without light and let darkness descend. Are we not part of this world? Tell me, Mellon, when did we allow evil to become stronger than us?

No comments: