Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thru the Gate

Spike got out onto the road yesterday and followed a person walking a dog about ½ a km down the road. By the time I got out to the road he was way over the bridge and up the hill. I couldn’t call him at first as there were two cars coming (my heart was in my mouth – or was it that I was about to throw up I was so worried?). Once they passed I called his name a few times and he eventually started running down the middle of the road. As soon as he got to me I scooped him up and brought him to the house. I will admit to being near hysterical. I can’t even bear the thought of anything happening to him... the rest of the day was filled with anxiety and near panic attack. I was on the verge of crying the whole day – I just couldn’t seem to calm down. That’s the problem with being bipolar sometimes, the emotion switch just doesn’t work very quickly...

A few years ago he had gotten thru the gate a few times so I had rigged up the electric fence so it would charge the gate. We dragged him on his leash and pushed him against the gate so he got a few shocks. Mean, but better than dead. He got the idea and didn’t go near the gate till now. So I got my coat and mitts on and went outside to recharge the gate. It took a while to track down all the shorts, and I never did get a good charge on the tester, but I could hear it. Again, I dragged Spike out there and shoved him against the fence, but I don’t think he got shocked, or if he did it was very mild. You need to be grounded to get the effect of the fence, and the cold weather and snow on the ground makes grounding difficult if not impossible...

I just hope I scared him.

All this while I was getting ready for guests. Carm was in town visiting his mother, so it was all up to me to get everything done. Just a bit of extra stress to my already stressful day. It was pretty hard not to just go back to bed and pull the covers over my head. But I knew that wouldn’t really help, so I just soldiered on.

I got everything done, and Carm got home in time to vacuum. I only burned the dessert a little bit, and only wrecked the sweet potato/brussels sprout dish (it was basically a mush), but everyone seemed to have a good time so I guess that’s what counts.

I of course ate and ate... Trudie brought homemade perogies (grrrr), which I cannot resist, so there went the diet... again.

 

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. ~Chauncey Depew

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

At least he had the good sense to come back when called:)