Friday, January 10, 2014

Long Ago and Far Away

A year ago today I was finished with all my running around with last preparations for my trip to New Zealand; I had packed ages before but was still loading up my suitcase with the last few ounces of treats.

No, I wasn’t there yet, but was well en-route. I believe I was still waiting around in Sydney, a 10 hour wait for my flight to Wellington. I was tired, but excited. It seems like longer ago, and yet just the other day. Isn’t time strange like that?

This Jan/Feb seems somewhat bleak, with just the incline on my treadmill to remind me of all the hills we climbed. No long visits with family. No wonderful trips through the NZ countryside. Ah well. Memories :-)

Archie was picked up yesterday and is back with his people. As soon as he was outside he made a bee-line for their car – no chance of Mike getting away without him! He was such a good houseguest, aside from leaving a shadow of himself wherever he went (hurrah for poodles!).

 

Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

~J.R.R. Tolkien

1 comment:

bjosa said...

For sure I'm going back to New Zealand some day. Talking about Bilbo and Frodo. My eldest grandson (11 years) started reading The Lord of the Rings during Christmas, the English Edition. I was so impressed.