Monday, January 27, 2014

Snow Dancing Across the Earth

On the treadmill this morning I was treated to the spectacle of the snow dancing across the earth to the music sung by the wind. The spruce trees stood on the edge of the dance floor, moving to the beat as they waited to be asked to dance. The snow seemed tireless as it danced on and on without pause. The sun made an occasional appearance, dusting the earth with sparkles.

Beautiful, but treacherous. I saw a few snowploughs go past, one even backed up a few times to remove a particularly snowy section of road. Heavy coats, scarfs, and warm mittens are the attire today.

I just saw the garbage truck go by, with the guy at the back clinging on to his perch. How cold must that be! The houses are far apart here, some have even 1/2 km or more between them, so he wouldn’t get much chance to warm up by getting on and off – he’d be frozen in place at the back of the truck. I felt slightly guilty to be in a warm house.

My grateful today will have to be a nice warm house, and never having had to have a job that kept me in the freezing cold. I was/am blessed.

The tulip blossoms are nearing the end of their lives. We know they are not gone forever though. A cold sleep and they will bloom again. I think they are still beautiful.

DSCN4591

 

Are ye the ghosts of fallen leaves, O flakes of snow, For which, through naked trees, the winds A-mourning go? ~John Banister Tabb

No comments: