Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bread and Cake, and Kisses too

The first chords of "If" by Bread started playing on the TV; I immediately started singing along, remembering most of the words, even though I haven't heard it for years, perhaps even decades. As I was singing along I couldn't help but wonder, why do I remember the words to a stupid song, but fail to remember simple facts about important things? Perhaps if important things were set to music I'd have a better chance of remembering!

We had a quiet Valentines Day at home. As I went about getting supper ready, I remembered a Valentines a long time ago. I was probably about 15 years old, when I accompanied my friend Heather to audition for 'Miss Teen Ottawa'. I never would have gone to do something like that myself, but as often happened I got caught up in what Heather was doing (sometimes for the good, but often for the bad).

I recall being asked in the interview what I aspired to do. My answer was thought up on the spot, as I had no real aspirations, certainly no serious ones. So what did I answer? Well, I wanted to go across Canada on dog sled! At that point in my life I'd only had two dogs. The first was a stray with one blind eye, that I called Shep, but that's another story. At the time of the interview I had a little toy poodle called "Thor". He didn't pull a sled (although I had tried to get him to). I don't even think I even knew any sled dogs. The interviewer must have thought I was just another crazy, ditzy teenage girl (I was).

When I got home from the ordeal, Mom had made our family a nice supper, complete with a special heart cake for dessert. I think we each got one whole cake - my favourite golden glow cake. She is always doing special things like that.

Dad’s birthday was on Thursday so I joined them for lunch. We had a lovely time chowing down on dim sum (yum)

DSCN4648_01

With the cold weather lately, and Spike’s mostly hairless ear, I’ve been putting a hat/scarf on him to go outside. He doesn’t seem to mind.

DSCN4645_01

 

You've got this life and while you've got it, you'd better kiss like you only have one moment, try to hold someone's hand like you will never get another chance to, look into people's eyes like they're the last you'll ever see, watch someone sleeping like there's no time left, jump if you feel like jumping, run if you feel like running, play music in your head when there is none, and eat cake like it's the only one left in the world! ~C. JoyBell C.

No comments: