Monday, April 7, 2014

It is the sun shining on the rain and the rain falling on the sunshine

Slowly the snow is melting, exposing the brown earth beneath. More creatures are making their faces shown – a raccoon by the bridge, and flocks of Canada geese on the flooded creek. Spring is slowly arriving. Not in a glorious burst as in some years, instead, a subdued entrance.

We have seen the skunk a few times, most recently yesterday, so it still hasn’t moved on. We are still not safe from Le Pe-u.

Carm is outside changing the winter tires off the car. His optimism that the snow will not revisit us is boundless. I wish I could catch it, but it still feels very much like winter to me, even though we could (theoretically) be camping in just over 3 weeks. Impossible.

~

I’ve been talking with a friend lately about our commitment to healthy eating and having clear boundaries. I am not one for absolutes, I’m more for compromise, and will allow for some leeway in what I eat, especially if I’m not trying hard to lose weight. She is more strict, and allows for no deviations. She won’t eat meat, no matter what. I’m thinking that I have to move more towards this strictness if health is important to me. Currently I am “flexible” in what I’ll eat, which leads to chicken shwarma, and burgers. Neither which are vegan, or healthy. Too much wiggle room.

Is it easier to stick with no wiggle room? Perhaps the slide from just one day a month to once a week, to several times a week is just too slippery a slope. If you don’t get on the slide at all, you can’t slide down…

If I really believe what I’ve read from Eat to Live (Dr. Fuhrman), Dr. Greger, Dr. Campbell, and others, then I must get serious again about what goes in my mouth.

What is your approach?

~

“Is the spring coming?" he said. "What is it like?"...
"It is the sun shining on the rain and the rain falling on the sunshine...”
~ Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden

No comments: