Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Regrets?

Today on Facebook there was a post from the woman who bought one of the last foals we bred. Fiorgyn was the cumulation of our breeding program. Her father, Felix, was a top stallion in the country with a proven record in Norway for producing quality offspring. Her mother, LFF Valena, was sired by another Norwegian stallion, also well-known.

We had purchased Valena as a young foal from breeders in Upper New York state. She was a beauty, with big eyes and a beautiful face. The first photos we saw of her had us making an 18 hour return trip to see her in person, and finalize the sale.

Over the next four years we watched and waited for her to grow up. We already had the stallion that we felt would be a good match. Finally the time came.

May 16, 2005, at 5:30 am Fiorgyn made her way into the world. Both Carm and I were present – I had slept in the tent at the side of the paddock for 4 nights to make sure of that! She was gorgeous!

That was the year after I got sick, and scaling down my commitments was recommended by my doctor. At the same time we started camping, which I found somewhat therapeutic. So… Fiorgyn was sold, along with her mother and all the rest of our horses.

Anyway, back to the Facebook post – one of Fiorgyn’s offspring (a stallion)is expecting his first foal crop this spring. If Felles’ offspring are anything like him, they will be lovely. She has another colt that was exported to New Zealand.

And the regret? Sure there are times when I wish things had been different. But they weren’t. And now I get the pleasure of seeing our dreams be followed by someone else (at least that’s what I tell myself).

Today is a dreary, on and off again rainy day. Perhaps not the best for going back in time… But! The grass is clearly getting greener, and I can see the beginnings of buds on the trees. The tulips are out of the earth an inch or two, and the peonies are making their way back into life.

An even more sure sign of spring is the “to-do” list that I’ve started for getting the camper loaded for its first trip!

 

"Old times" never come back and I suppose it's just as well. What comes back is a new morning every day in the year, and that's better. ~George E. Woodberry

No comments: