Saturday, May 3, 2014

blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in

At 3am Friday night/Saturday morning, Carm headed out into the night to go to Toronto for a 9:30 am funeral. He stayed long enough to say hello to his relatives and attend the funeral, a little over 3 hrs – then he was on his way back home. A 12+ hour journey for a 3 hour visit and funeral. But these things are important as they keep us in touch with relatives that we don’t normally see. Weddings and Funerals… (with the odd family reunion thrown in!).

I tried to go back to sleep, and I did somewhat. Bella started barking and growling intermittently from the time Carm closed the gate. I could have wrung her neck, but was somehow too tired to get out of bed (where was my insomnia last night?). And I tend to worry and awfulize…

Saturday afternoon I had a baby shower to attend in the depths of the city. Since the car was gone this meant driving our giant pickup truck… Not the ideal vehicle to go into the depths of civilization, with a driver who doesn’t drive all that much. But I was looking forward to seeing everyone and knew the parking lot at the church had plenty of room for me. I got all dressed up and headed out the door, leaving early so I’d have plenty of time. Unfortunately the truck had other ideas… my remote didn’t work (again). We had changed the battery last week and it seemed to be working fine then. A few days later Carm’s remote failed, again, a new battery. So I figured I’d just have to change the battery and I’d be on my way. No such luck.

I was reluctant to leave using Carm’s key, since it had failed soon after mine – the idea of being stuck in the middle of civilization on a Saturday afternoon did not hold any appeal. And with Carm on the road from Toronto, he wouldn’t be there to bail me out. So I got out of my fancy clothes, called my sister-in-law and settled down for a quiet afternoon.

-------------------------------

Later in the afternoon:  Carm is safely home and it seems that I did a big blunder with the truck key… Apparently I had to “train” the newly batteryied remote plus, as it turns out, I got the battery from an old pack so it wouldn’t have worked anyway… but… guess where the pack of good batteries was – yup, you guessed it, on the console of the truck.

But the biggest blunder is that I was SURE the truck would not drive without the fob… I was POSITIVE… and as it turns out I was positively WRONG!!! What a dummy :-(  And how incredibly embarrassing…

 

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

No comments: