Friday, May 30, 2014

Rally Day 2 - it's a Mystery

Today started off much like yesterday with an early  walk. I was quite smug as the dogs were behaving very well on leash... until... a squirrel ran out right under their noses. They stood without pulling for maybe 5 seconds, and then charge! They can pull REALLY hard in a harness, so I switched the leashes over the the ring at the front of the harness so they couldn't pull quite so hard. Luckily the rest of the walk went well so my arms are back to normal length.

After Carm was up and we had a coffee then we all went out again. I really wished I had my camera with me as there were a few gaggles of geese with dozens of little goslings. The light across the still lake was perfect for some really nice shots. I'll be sure to sling the camera over my shoulder the next time out, but of course all the variables are unlikely to add up :-/

Later in the morning we had Bob over for a coffee. We could hear his wife Ann running the  vacuum so I'll bet he was happy to get away. Later we each wandered around the campground talking to people

Except for a mid-afternoon thunderstorm, the weather today was pretty darn nice: mostly sunny, warm but not hot, with a slight breeze.

We were accompanied by Diane on our afternoon walk to the back 40. We had both thought to get photos of the goslings, but tenters had moved into the area. Hopefully they'll move out at the end of the weekend so we'll get another chance at getting some good photos.

Jim and Diane (another Diane!) were our chauffeurs again tonight, but tonight's destination was the Holiday Inn for a Mystery Theatre dinner. It was a fun romp that spanned the cocktail hour till past dessert. After much laughter,  it turned out I was one of the people that guessed correctly that the young man sitting next to me was the murderer.

One of the wonderful things about the rally is the variety of people that we meet. Tonight was no exception. We've sat with Jim and Dianne many times - he was a systems analyst for Esso, and together they ran an Apple orchard. This wasn't our first time meeting Marilyn and Mark, but it was our first time spending more time than just standing around outside. He was a professor of entomology and as such knew much about monarch butterflies, and bees (and I'm sure many other insects). Marilyn was a math major that became a teacher.

I'll have to ask another Ti member more about the bee problem. Apparently Terry and Sharon have 50 hives. Mark said that the problem is not a simple one of just pesticides, there are also problems with climate, and parasites. The bees that we see so much of are not native to North America, but were imported from Italy. Who knew!

Another great day done... and I'm ready for bed... again with my editor out by the campfire (isn't he socialized out? I know I am.)

“These black times go as they come and we do not know how they come or why they go. But we know that God controls them, as he controls the whole vast cobweb of the mystery of things.” ― Elizabeth Goudge

No comments: