Saturday, May 31, 2014

Rally Day 3 - A FAN tastic time

The day started much the same as the others have, minus one walk around the back 40 - we were all feeling a bit lazy after having been up so late last night. Once we got back we took our coffees outside and sipped them in the morning sun. It wasn't long before we were talking with Steve who was on his way to Bob & Ann's for coffee. Ann stuck her head around the camper and shouted for us to come and join them as well. I don't know how long we were there, but the conversation flowed and there was much laughter. Again it was an interesting group of people. Bob and Ann are retired dairy farmers from south western Ontario, while Steve is a trucker, and his wife Henny just retired from the Food Inspection Agency. They live just around the corner from Bob and Ann.

I love how everyone is from such diverse walks of life.

Carm and I finally deeked out for a trip to Costco (our second time there already this trip). I wanted some muffins or squares to take with me when I go over for coffee tomorrow - I don't like to come empty handed. We also need some 9v batteries to replace the one we had scrounged off somebody a few days ago.

To continue my theme from the other day about stuff needing fixing... our bedroom fan stopped working. We thought it might be the battery in the remote (yes, even the fan is remote control!), and sure enough that was the problem, or at least one of the problems...

The other problem we were having was that we could  get the dome to open, but then it would immediately close. Well, shoot. We NEED the dome/fan to work as it is in the bedroom, and that is where we put the dogs when we go out. Without the fan going, well, lets just say there are 3 dogs in a very small space... We mentioned the problem to Bob this morning, and he said that he had a similar problem, but that it went away once he got on the roof and cleaned the rain sensors (the dome will close automatically if it rains). Dooh! Why did we not think of that! Of course the problem was resolved.

Many of the rally folk were off on a tour of Boldt Castle today, so the afternoon was spent quietly reading and napping, and visiting with passers-by. Late in the afternoon, after a visit with Erik and Jackie, we roused ourselves enough to take the dogs for their walk. On the way back we stopped at John and Judy's place to say hello, and before we knew it, icy margaritas were in our hands (note: holding 3 dog leashes and a drink is a feat of coordination, especially since we were basically standing in some mud). Their place is action central so we ended up  staying till well past 6, enjoying the company of all the people dropping by.

I wanted to be sure to reciprocate with Judy so set up a time for her to come to my place for a visit - but then the dilemma rose its ugly head - who else do I invite? I don't have room/wine/chairs/glasses for more than 4 or 5 so can't invite everyone. A conundrum.

It was another beautiful day with sunny skies and warm, but not hot temperatures.

Supper was quick, with just enough time to write some of the blog before it was time to slather ourselves with bug spray and head to the campfire. Time passed quickly there, and now, here I am, just after 10pm, exhausted and ready for bed... and without my editor again... I think he's talking politics with an American - I might not see him tonight at all!

I should note that my blog writing is all being done on my tablet, hence the lack of photos. Also, I'm writing it throughout the day and I don't always get it to flow right as I add the bits. But since the main purpose is so that I can refresh my memory next year I'm not stressing about it too much ;-)

“He who is different from me does not impoverish me - he enriches me. Our unity is constituted in something higher than ourselves - in Man... For no man seeks to hear his own echo, or to find his reflection in the glass.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

No comments: