Sunday, June 8, 2014

First Contact

Aside from the music (which did eventually cease), yesterday was a lovely day. The sky was blue with not a cloud to be seen, the sun was hot and the shade was cool. I had time to leisurely give the villetta a good clean, do a bit of reading and then get ready for guests. We were expecting special guests last night - Sheldon, Laurie and their son Tanner. They are second cousins on my maternal grandmothers side - I think Sheldon and I share a great grandfather (?), Alexander Watt. Or is it a great great grandfather?

Regardless of the level of relation it was lovely to meet them.

DSCN5223

They brought supper - KFC (yum), while we had some of the fixings, beer, wine and "coffee", and a simple dessert. I felt weird about them bringing the main course but now have a good reason to visit them in Carbon, AB! I must reciprocate!

DSCN5226

We sat around the campfire getting to know one another till the stars came out. It isn't often that we have a campfire, so I took full advantage and roasted FAR too many marshmallows! I must have been tired though as the sugar rush didn't keep me awake when I finally went to bed.

When I was growing up we always lived far from any relatives. I rarely had the pleasure of playing with cousins or being spoiled by grandparents, aunts and uncles. In fact I hardly knew any of them – they were virtual strangers, with time between visits counted in years, not weeks or months. I envy my friends that have close cousins that are best friends. So it is a special pleasure to meet new family!

Some people are your relatives but others are your ancestors, and you choose the ones you want to have as ancestors. You create yourself out of those values.  ~Ralph Ellison

No comments: