Sunday, June 22, 2014

I almost wish we were butterflies

The dogs got out for only a quick walk this morning, but oh what a morning it was. The sky was blue, not a cloud to be seen, there was only the faintest of breezes, warm and caressing. Summer.

We drove over to the Upper Canada Golf course to try out their breakfast (good), and then drive to the flea market to get a $10 hair cut. The hairdresser wasn't there, so we just poked around a bit, more interested in getting back to our camp than all the stuff (junk). I did pick up a cream jug with gold embossing, maybe about 500ml. If nothing else it will be pretty with a small bouquet. And for just $3 I couldn't pass it up. (photo taken with tablet)

Back at camp I tried to settle into some reading, but it was clear that the dogs needed to go out again. So I slathered on some sunscreen, leashed them up, and headed out. I took the same route, over the causeway, but wasn't going to go much further than that. However, the perfection of the summer day drew me further into the park. I decided to head into one of the group camping areas, I knew it was empty, and also that it had some frontage on the St. Lawrence. The two lane gravel road turned into a single lane track as I turned in. Clover, wild flowers and fresh grass perfumed the air; bees hummed as they moved from flower to flower; birds sang their summer song. Like a painting from an old English master,  the combination of open meadows, treed parkland, and shoreline was soothing to the eyes.  perfect. bliss. contentment.

Jim Croce's, "If I Could Save Time in a Bottle" came to mind.

As we got to the little rocky beach I fixed up the dog's leashes so that they could go for a swim. I waded in up to my knees, the water cool against my hot legs, the canines splashed around happily. I felt blessed to have such an auspicious start to the summer :-)

Last night at the practice dance, it was clear that we have to practice more (much, much more), if we are to be any good. So... today... outside at the camper... we practiced. We tried not to feel too conspicuous, because really, who cares if other people laugh at us or find us weird ;-) No music was played to disturb other campers, just two people with 4 left feet between them quietly tripping over each other.

The sounds of campers going about their business was background noise today. It was the sound of summer. 

The day isn't quite over yet though... 

I sit here sipping champagne and basking in the last moments of this summer day - does it get any better than this -

I think not. 

argh... fighting with the blogger app which now insists on putting each sentence on a new paragraph.


“I almost wish we were butterflies and liv'd but three summer days - three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.” ― John Keats, Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne

No comments: