Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rally Day 4 - a social affair

Carm had a golf game  booked with a couple of the guys (Ken & Jim), so I ventured out with the dogs on my own. We stuck with the regular route, as I wanted to get back quickly so I could shower and head to the pancake breakfast. There have been times in my life that I wouldn't have gone to the breakfast on my own, but this year is different. As luck would have it I joined up with a group walking up the road and had a great time with them.

After breakfast I gave the camper a quick vacuum and dust, then assembled a tray of baked goods to take next door for coffee. Nine people gathered at Bob & Ann's place for a morning/afternoon of tall tales and other stories. This was a different group from breakfast, and no less fun. Hummm... that doesn't read well, so I'll just say it simply - I had fun.

At 1 o'clock I headed back "home" to take the dogs out for another walk - I had the feeling before I left for coffee that Kabira had to go out again so didn't want to leave her to suffer any longer, besides which, after pancakes, bacon, and coffee treats, I felt I needed an extra walk! I was lucky enough to catch Christine out of her trailer, so we had a bit of a chat about mental health issues, before I headed back to wait for Carm. I didn't have to wait long.

We had a snack, then Carm headed out, foraging for company, while I had a bit of a rest. After a short nap I found him down the "road" visiting  with some people. Eventually I dragged him back to the camper so that we could get ready for the potluck supper.

Again, we sat with a different group of people, and again, we had a really good time. Terry, who was sitting beside me, had worked for the company that I started consulting with at the start of my career all those years ago. He was in a different city so we didn't know anyone in common. Another interesting thing about Terry and his wife Sharon is that they are now bee-keepers. We learned much about bees and their habits. We spent so much time talking about bees that we never did find out what the other couple did (other than immigrate from Great Britain).

We got back to the camper around 8, which left us time to do dishes and head out to the campfire... I ended up passing on the fire though as I was just too exhausted. Also, I've been wondering if the lack of sleep, and extra social stimulus is making me a bit manic? Better get to bed early tonight just to make sure to nip anything in the bud...

We've not been spending much time at the camper with the pets, but we have been here enough to make me worried about Spike. There have been a few times this trip that he hasn't wanted to walk on the hardwood floor, or in certain areas of the camper, and instead has sat staring at the floor trembling. When I finally convince him to traverse the expanse, he is very cautious and scared. My first thought is vision... One of his eyes had been gucking up a bit last week... I wonder if it is related. I did a bit of research on the internet about poodle eye problems, and sure enough there is a particular genetic problem that they can be prone to. I'm pretty sure his parents were tested, but from my reading it can be carried for several generations. I hope I'm just awfulizing though, as PRA always progresses to 100% blindness.

I think a visit to the vet will be first thing on the agenda when we get home.

My editor is up in smoke again tonight - campfire smoke that is... so if there are errors and omissions please be forgiving!

Bees do have a smell, you know, and if they don't they should, for their feet are dusted with spices from a million flowers.” ― Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

No comments: