Monday, June 23, 2014

Splish Splash I was take’n a bath

By 10 am we were back at the camper having coffee. As soon as we got up (late!), we headed off to the swimming place I'd been to yesterday, this time with Carm (but stupidly without my camera). It was another beautiful morning - still, sunny and warm. We were surprised by a medium sized animal running across the road when we were on the track, at first we thought it was a weasel, but wikipedia set us straight - it was a fisher, probably a female.

DSCN5474

As soon as we turned down the narrow lane, the dogs knew where we were headed. I let go of their leashes when we got close to the water so they could race straight in. Happy dogs.

DSCN5475

Back at the camp, people around us started to pack up.  And with Carm gone to help a friend with deck building, a quiet descended over our site, interrupted only by the sounds of birds and distant laughter. I read, watched the ships go by, and closed my eyes. Altogether relaxing.

I got out a low dish of water and put it on the grass for Grace to splash in. Remember when we were a kids, and your mom would set up a blowup pool with just a few inches of water, and how we ran and splashed and had so much fun. The pool was ceramic, but the fun was no less real. She splashed and flapped and had a grand old time.

DSCN5477

As the afternoon drew to a close, the dogs and I headed out for a short walk. It was still hot, too hot for the dogs to walk very far, but, the languid summer contentment continued. Phrases to describe my surroundings formed in my head... "Majestic willows, clothed in green gauze picnicked by the waters edge", "the air clung to me like a silk chemise", "honey sweetened air barely stirred". I wish I was a poet!

DSCN5479

As perfect as the afternoon was, I will admit to being annoyed by the air conditioner on the trailer across the lane from us. It's hot, but not that hot, and my goodness that sucker is loud. Thankfully they were away most of the afternoon and left the air conditioner off!

Have I mentioned my new, favourite snack? Crackers with blue cheese and fresh honeycomb are a real taste treat. I had purchased a block of honeycomb from Terry at the rally, and he made the suggestion. So we got a chunk of blue cheese and gave it a try. OMG. It doesn't take much of either the cheese, or the honey to have a real taste treat.

The last time I remember having honeycomb was in about 1972 or 1973 in rural Manitoba. I loved the sweet, waxy, chewiness.

Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains. ~Diane Ackerman

No comments: