Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Truest Friend We Have

Practicality won out the other night and the peony petals did not come into my bath. Instead I just set the vase at the side of the tub. I figured that fishing out all the petals so they didn't go down the drain would 100% ruin the effect.

Saturday we celebrated my mom's 70th birthday! Dad had reserved a room at a quaint little restaurant in a pretty little country town. Friends and family gathered there ahead of time so we could surprise her.  I don't know how surprised she was, but there was no doubt that she was pleased. It was lovely to see her enjoying herself and being the centre of attention. Happy Birthday Mom!

The last two + months of mild depression has been a bad thing for my waist size... when my mood is such that I don't care and don't have the energy to cook or exercise, all semblance of healthy living goes out the door. So here I sit, almost 8 pounds heavier, and out of shape. I'm slowly  starting to get back to normal, but it doesn't happen overnight. I just have to approach the recovery one step at a time. I must get back to lifting weights and the other exercises I was doing daily, but it seems overwhelming... (note to self: just do it; note from self: tomorrow).

Friday night I made another "bean burger", this one from black-eyed peas. They were easy to make and tasty. With less than a 1/4 cup of bbq sauce in 6 burgers I didn't feel it was a bomb, but now that I've made them once, I'll try substituting some tomato sauce with liquid smoke which would have less sugar. If that doesn't work out I can live with the little bit of store bought bbq sauce. We had them wrapped in whole wheat pitas topped with the regular burger toppings, with roasted green beans and sliced cucumber on the side. 

Of course Sunday was Father's Day so I was happy to spend more time with the family.

I'm writing this on the tablet, so no photos. Tomorrow I'll drag out my laptop and connect the camera to see if I got any good shots.

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. ~Washington Irving

No comments: