Sunday, July 20, 2014

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition

Tears were starting to dampen my cheeks, and my sides were getting sore from holding in the laughter. I was certain that my contained mirth was shaking every seat in the theatre. Well, that is a slight exaggeration, but I was laughing and laughing. I kind of felt that if I really started to laugh, I might never stop! I was getting a bit giddy...

A few weeks ago Jo Ellen called to see if we'd be interesting in going to the live showing of the last Monty Python show being held at a local movie theater. I had barely hung up the phone and we had the tickets bought and printed. Carm has been a big fan since 1969 when the show first started. He knows the words to many of the sketches, and most of the three movies as well. I had not grown up with Monty Python, and have never seen much of them. I wasn't really sure what to expect, or even it it would be very funny.

This morning we got going early, had lunch with Carm's mom, dashed to Costco for poop bags, then to Critter Jungle for dog food, and finally Food Basics for cherries. Whew. Finally we were on our way to the movie theater to meet up with Jo Ellen & Don. We got there with plenty of time to spare, and as soon as we met up went to the right theatre. Even though we were there 25 minutes before the show started, the place was packed! We had to sit in the 3rd row from the front - luckily the seats recline so we didn't strain our necks!

While we were waiting for the show to start, there were snippets of Monty Python on the screen, with a countdown timer in the corner. Finally it started! The screen zoomed out for a full view of the stadium where they were actually playing (it was live!!!), and then back in close to the conductor. The music rang out (did you know that John Philip Souza wrote the original theme song?), and the show began.

It was a mix of the original guys (now in their 70s) redoing some of the favorite sketches, with video snips from the originals. When they showed the original "Munich 1972 Olympics" I just about choked with laughter. The race for people with incontinence issues just about had me incontinent.

Of course they did Canada's anthem "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay".

I really enjoyed myself, and don't actually recall laughing that hard for a very long time.

Below are the lyrics for the last song of the last show, advice to live by:

words and music by Eric Idle

Some things in life are bad They can really make you mad Other things just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle Don't grumble, give a whistle And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten There's something you've forgotten And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. When you're feeling in the dumps Don't be silly chumps Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the light side of life...

...
                                    ~

And now for something completely different!

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Sounds like you had a really great time:))