Tuesday, July 22, 2014

To sit on a branch and study the clouds

After Tuesday morning's battle with the deerflies, we spent the day sitting languid in the shade. The heat was high, as was the humidity, so even the effort of going inside for a drink of water warranted a shower with the hose. The dogs spent some of the afternoon inside away from the bugs, but we stayed outside to enjoy the day.

The beautiful setting inspired me to write over 2000 words for Spike's travelogue; the words were coming easily. Eventually I had to stop to recharge my tablet, and by then it was time to walk the dogs again.

I had our cooler bandanas charged up with cold water, so I tied those around everyones neck to keep us a tiny bit cooler, but even so it was so hot that when we got back from the short walk we had to turn the hose onto the dogs before dousing ourselves. Grace even had a soak, although she was none too pleased!

We spent the rest of the afternoon sipping on icy coranitas; feasting on crackers with blue cheese and honey; and nibbling on grapes, strawberries and huge cherries. The sound of cicadas triggered both of our memories, and we started talking about the summers of our youth. I have so many strong memories of summer, snap shot memories of specific moments in time.

I don't know if it was because it is summer now, in in the heat it seemed impossible to think of the cold, but very few winter memories surfaced - maybe there wasn't as much to remember? Summer is a magical time for me, and I guess it always was.

Carm remembered his summer jobs working construction, carrying sheets of drywall and bags of cement up flights of stairs in the blazing heat. My memories were more carefree, with grass and trees, and the smell of clover featuring heavily. I hope I knew how lucky I was.

We had a cold supper of salads, sitting at the picnic table out under the awning. Grace's cage is right on the picnic table - she is always happy to have her meal sitting right next to us. She ate all the healthy things we were enjoying, and didn't even ask for junk instead.

At bedtime I checked the weather forecast, and wouldn't luck have it, our heat wave was over and chance of thunderstorms was in the forecast instead. Sure enough, I woke up early to deafening claps of thunder and pouring rain. Thankfully Spike had the good sense to know we would not go out for a walk so snuggled down for a much longer sleep. As it was, by 9am they couldn't wait any longer, so we had to dash out between the rumbles. The back of the site is about 100' from the back of the trailer, and is partially underwater, so we made an exception and just went there. Unfortunately it is among huge trees which didn't make me feel very comfortable in a thunderstorm.

Summer is the annual permission slip to be lazy. To do nothing and have it count for something. To lie in the grass and count the stars. To sit on a branch and study the clouds.~Regina Brett

No comments: