Sunday, August 10, 2014

Peaceful Easy Feeling

I have a few things to post about today, but first we'll go back to Saturday night, my niece Laura's wedding. As everyone expected, she made a beautiful bride. Her exotic beauty was only enhanced by the fairy tale dress with layer upon layer of tulle. Gorgeous! The wedding was fun, we got up and danced to many a tune, but sadly only one was a clear Rumba - we did do a few fancy moves on the dance floor... the rest of the dancing was weave and grind, which is okay by me as I love to do both.

20140809_152056-lauradan-laurdan

I love watching people on the dance floor: some people only sway a little side to side, seemingly worried about messing their hair or dress; some go into their own little world and move and grove by themselves; and then there are those like me that let the music flow through their bodies, the song almost visceral. They are the fun people to watch as their love of the groove is catching.

20140810_143849-spike-driving

Now on to Sunday, the start of our summer vacation. We got underway at 11am, right on schedule. The drive was uneventful (thankfully given all the trouble on the 401 of late), and we arrived at the park just past 3pm. We had tanks to dump and water to fill so it was another 1/2 hour at least before we got to our site. Ahhhh.... bliss. We puttered around, taking ages to get set up, but finally we were. A quick walk for the dogs, and then we went directly into to the water. Cold, with warm patches. Oh, it felt so good to wade my hot body into that cool water. There is nothing like the feeling of cool/cold water flowing over my head.

20140810_174959-pq-swim

After I was cool, I sat on one of the big stones by the waters edge and watched Carm talk with other swimmers, and watched the swans fly overhead, and looked at the way the horizon blended into the water. It was hard to tell exactly where the water turned to sky. The cormorants sometimes looked as if they were flying in the water, or diving into the sky. There was no wind to speak of so the water was gently lapping at the stones on the waters edge. The vast expanse of water lay in front of me, almost like a prairie vista. All of this was enhanced by the knowledge that we'll be here a few weeks to. None of our local camping rivals this beauty. I wish you were all here to experience it. It was wonderful. Immediately the line from the Eagles song came to my head "I get a peaceful easy feeling". That's what I had, and that's what I still have.

20140810_184453_01-pq-site-view

I came back to shore and got supper ready - we ate, sitting side by side on the picnic table, overlooking the lake, the birds, and the amazing expanse of water and sky, sipping champagne, listening to the happy noises around us. Neither words nor photos can capture the feeling.

20140810_184542-pq-queen-anne

I had forgotten how wonderful this place is. Walking down to the water from our site, and wading out into the cool water- heaven. There are some Queen Anne's lace (my favourite wild flower), just outside of our fence, between us and the water. They are silhouetted against the sky/water - I'll probably take dozens of photos of them over the next few weeks.

As the evening progressed, we watched the cormorants fly back to Gull Island. Then the giant moon started rising. Slow fireworks.

20140810_203402-big-moon

~

5:45 am Monday

I've been awake since 4 - Bella had to go outside and I haven't been able to get back to sleep. I've been outside,  watching the giant moon reflect on the rather still water. I've been almost lulled to sleep by the sound of the water caressing the shore. Now I can see the beginnings of pink in the sky outside the window.

'cause I get a peaceful easy feeling
And I know you won't let me down
'cause I'm already standing...
I'm already standing...
Yes, I'm already standing on the ground Oh, oh

No comments: