Monday, November 17, 2014

Mere absence of colour

By late afternoon we were done the first coat in the two bathrooms and hallway. My back aches and I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder… but we got it done!

Our bathroom took Carm over 2 hours just to cut in the ceiling and all the trim. With two windows, a bathtub, shower enclosure, wall mirror, vanity, lights and goodness only knows what else it was tedious. Me, I had the roller – the fastest way for me to get paint all over everything in my path. I may have had as much paint on me as the walls did. Painting is not one of those “be the best” actions – I know full well that I suck at it!

All that work and the colour is blah. It isn’t horrible, but isn’t rocking my world either. In the bathroom it looks like a greenish white – what happened to whipped butter? As the “beige” paint covered up the vibrant pink I could feel a little bit of myself slip away – I will admit to feeling a bit choked up. The pink was so me – a bold visual statement. It made me happy and always took the gloom out of a grey day. So now we have beige, a colour sure to add gloom to even the sunniest day. What was I thinking. I need colour!!!

With 4 3/4 gallons left we will finish the job…

 

White is not a mere absence of color; it is a shining and affirmative thing, as fierce as red, as definite as black. God paints in many colors; but He never paints so gorgeously, I had almost said so gaudily, as when He paints in white. ~G.K. Chesterton

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

I am totally confused by all the colors they offer now:) I have learned to not offer an opinion when asked what I think of this or that color:))