Saturday, January 17, 2015

Rhinestone sneakers

20131129_095312-property-icy

Sometimes, someone I know, or something I see in a movie, or even something on Facebook causes me to take the magnifying glass to my own life and question how I am living.  I was talking with someone recently and they said that as soon as they open their eyes in the morning they give thanks to the new day. I was struck by her positive outlook and vowed that I'd remember to do the same thing. It seems that starting the day on the right foot, a foot wearing fancy, rhinestone encrusted shoes, is much better than dragging along in old shoes with holes in them. Instead of waking up with a to-do list in my head, I’ll pause for a moment and count my blessings. Blessings that are numerous, wonderful and fantastic. I’ll look out of the window at the electric blue sky or the sombre grey clouds and rejoice at the variety. Only after I feel the gratefulness in my heart will I start to plan my day. 

Speaking of rhinestones… I used to have a pair of white sneakers that had sparkly stones all over them. Oh how I loved those shoes and when they wore out I was beside myself as I couldn't find anything as wonderful. From those shoes I moved on to cowboy boots which I wore day in and day out with everything. If there was an outfit in my closet that didn't jive I'd wear it anyway. I wore those boots for years. By the time they wore out we had horses and a pair of sturdy Blundstones seemed more practical. I'm on my second (or is that third) pair - the only time they are off my feet is when I'm in the house or on a hot summer day). I've never been a conventional dresser!

 

O, with what freshness, what solemnity and beauty, is each new day born; as if to say to insensate man, "Behold! thou hast one more chance! Strive for immortal glory!
~Harriet Beecher Stowe

1 comment: