Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sharing a Table

Sometimes not finding a table is a good thing.

Monday we deeked into Costco for a few things and as we were checking out, the picture of the giant hotdog and drink caught our eyes. It was lunch time and we were hungry so we split up, Carm getting into the rather long line, while I looked for a table. There was one, way on the other side. With the giant Costco sized cart in front of me I purposefully strode off, the gleaming white rectangle in my sights. Just as I arrived, I almost collided with a lady that arrived from the other direction. We each took a step back, sizing each other up and both of us quickly suggested that we share.

It was close to an hour later that we exited the store. The couple, Carmen and Lin, were a lovely older couple who used to RV and took many winter trips to the US. They gave us tips on where to go and we exchanged many stories and anecdotes, not just about RVing. It was a fun way to spend a bit of time and a nice change from sitting across from each other with not much to say.

DSCN7860

The dogs got baths today, not their favourite thing, but they are cooperative. Afterwards the hair on Spike's head was drooping into his eyes so I told him I'd puff him up - as soon as I cracked the box where the brush is he jumped up and ran over. At first I thought it was because he knew I'd take the hair out of his eyes, but on further thought we usually go for a car ride after he's been puffed up… sorry to disappoint Spike but you are soaking wet and it is freezing cold. With their long hair the poodles are like sponges – it will be hours before they are dry. The dogs have each staked out a sun spot and are soaking up the warmth of the sun. I had my own place in the sun, but the blinding light eventually sent me elsewhere.

DSCN7858

DSCN7854

 

I ordered a pair of Bluetooth headphones so that I can listen to my music or watch a program when I'm on the treadmill. It seemed precarious to be tethered to my tablet while I was energetically walking – more than once I came close to crashing the whole thing onto the floor. What do you use for listening to music? Do you listen privately or inflict share with others? I'm hoping that I can do other exercise/housework with these headphones since I won’t be tangling myself in cords.

I read this today and really liked it: 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do | Amy Morin


Here’s a writing prompt from the book I got from Jo Ellen: You accidentally hit Reply-All and everyone received an uncensored rant about your boss. Write the follow-up reply all.

“My going-away party will be held on Friday at I've Been An Idiot Restaurant at 666 the End of the Road which is just around the corner from I'm Sorry I Think You are Great St.”

 

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. ~Victor Hugo

When I was looking for quotes I came across this poem and it appealed to me at some level – I love ‘a note unsaid’.

“Life is for the living.
Death is for the dead.
Let life be like music.
And death a note unsaid.”

Langston Hughes, The Collected Poems

1 comment:

Merikay said...

I always watched movies while on the treadmill. Now I keep an eye on the ground so I don't trip!